The holidays are done for another year, and that usually means a few things: 1) people are busy, back at work, catching up on a million things they didn’t have to think about over their break, 2) our readers in colder climates are lacking warmth and sunshine, 3) most people start getting the itch for a winter escape, 4) February means romance is in the air.
Luckily, we’ve got the perfect place to shed your winter woes and/or make 2018 the most romantic Valentine’s day to date! Santa Barbara is a winter vacation in paradise. Trade in snow for sand, take in the sunshine, and enjoy the warmth. The Eagle Inn is one of the few Santa Barbara hotels on the beach, just minutes away from downtown, the harbor, and the pier. Our guests often call it their home away from home.
There’s never a shortage of fun things to do in Santa Barbara, and February is no exception. If you’re planning a visit, be sure to mark your calendar for these fun events in February.
February Events Near Our Santa Barbara Bed and Breakfast
- Santa Barbara International Film Festival – Jan 31. – February 10: Hosted by SBIFF, a non-profit arts and education organization dedicated to making a positive impact utilizing the power of film, the Santa Barbara film festival is an annual February tradition. Over the past 31 years, the Santa Barbara International Film Festival has become one of the leading film festivals in the United States – attracting 90,000 attendees and offering 11 days of 200+ films, tributes and symposiums. All of this, just a 5 minute drive from our front doors! See awards, watch movies, have an amazing trip!! Time: 8:00pm (each night). Cost: $20-$150 (depending on how many nights attended).
- A Little Bit of Heart Piñata Workshop – Feb. 1: Who says you have to stick to dinner and drinks for Valentine’s day? Why not end the evening by bursting open a heart-shaped Piñata you made yourself? If you’re into fun and quirky events where you can walk away with a new skill, we may have found the event for you! And if you’re staying at our cozy bed and breakfast, then you’re just a 15 minute walk from becoming a Piñata making master! Time: 7:00pm – 9:00pm. Cost: $15.
- Cellar Raid at Carr Winery – Feb. 3: In preparation for Spring, Carr Winery wants to clear out their wine cellar and help you restock yours! Before you go, you can preview their list of available wines. Then, you will have the opportunity to taste and buy over 60 vintages, ranging from 2003-2013. And, you can save up to 80% on the regular shelf price of each bottle. For wine lovers, we don’t think there is a better way to make the most of your Santa Barbara vacation. Make sure to order early, because we expect them to sell out quickly! Time: 12:00pm – 4:00pm. Cost: Tasting = $25, 3 bottle pack = $100, 6 bottle pack = $200, 12 bottle pack = $400.
- La Cuneta Son Machín: Cumbia from Nicaragua – Feb. 11: With a unique, enchanting style based on popular Nicaraguan folkórico, infused with rock, marimba, cumbia, and ska, it’s no wonder this group from Nicaragua was nominated for a Grammy. A tight-knit group of friends and cousins, these musicians came together in 2009 when they were inspired to join Managua’s annual Santo Domingo Festival parade as it passed by in the street, leading to the name “la cuneta,” meaning “the sidewalk,” and “son machín,” a play on the English words “sound machine.” Letting your hips sway to this unforgettable music is a guaranteed good time. Perfect for a Santa Barbara weekend getaway! Time: 2:00pm – 3:00pm. Cost: FREE.
- Thingumajig’s Giant Puppet Workshop – Feb. 17-28: If you’re looking to make your time in beautiful Santa Barbara a little more unique and perhaps a dash more magical, just check out this giant puppet workshop! This two week workshop is unlike anything else you’ll find. Learn how to choose the right materials, scale drawings, sculpture techniques, rig puppets, and come home with a surefire conversation starter! Time: 4:30-9:930 each program day. Cost: $215.
- Danish String Quartet – Feb.23: Nothing goes better with the beauty of a city like Santa Barbara like some equally beautiful music. This group of fierce friends is returning to the city to dazzle their audience with an energy and passion that dazzles audiences all over the world. Enjoy the classical stylings of this critically acclaimed quartet. If you’re looking to add a little romance to your getaway, you just found it. NPR boasts “These Nordic lads possess warmth, wit, a beautiful tone and technical prowess second to none.” Time: 7:00pm – 8:30pm. Cost: $25 to $40 ($15 for UCSB students).
- Santa Barbara Restaurant Week – Feb. 23 – March 4: This family friendly event is sure to satisfy everyone! Every day during restaurant week, participating restaurants will offer a reduced-price fixed menu for both lunch and dinner. At dinner, you’ll enjoy a 3 course meal for much less than the usual plate price. Worried you won’t like something? For your appetizer, main course, and dessert, you’ll be able to pick one of three options. You can happily eat at restaurants you’ve dreaming of. And when you’ve had your fill, you can come back to our bed and breakfast to relax. Time: all day. Cost: $25, $35 and $45 (depending on location).
- Make Your Own Cutting Board – All month long: If you’ve ever looked at a beautiful wooden creation and wished you had the skills to make it, then this workshop can help make your wishes come true. This is an inclusive event. The hosts of the workshop say that one of their main goals is to prove that anyone can learn to create amazing things. They also want to show how fun and rewarding making something with your own hands can be. And after a satisfying day of creation, you can put your feet up at our beautiful bed and breakfast, maybe with a deeper appreciation for any of our wooden decor. Time: 9:00am – 4:00pm. Cost: $135.
- Compagnie Accrorap/Kader Attou “The Roots” – Feb. 6: A breathtaking mix of street moves, Indian kathak and contemporary dance; French-born Algerian choreographer Kader Attou, with his company Accrorap, is not something you want to miss. Kader Attou has a celebrated, decades-long career in dance that spans the globe. Now, making his West Coast debut, he takes an introspective look at his journey so far, set to a stirring mix of crackling classical and electronic records. Performed by 11 exceptional hip-hop dancers who have honed their unique styles over the years, The Roots is a transformative evening-length performance that represents the heart of hip hop. This is the perfect way to turn your Santa Barbara getaway up a level. Time: 8:00pm – 9:30pm. Cost: $35-$45 general public, $19 UCSB students.
- Cirque Éloize – Feb. 7: Now you can really put the ‘West’ in ‘West coast’ during your Santa Barbara getaway. This Wild West inspired performance is a theatrical thrill that will transport you to another time. For the last 25 years, these Montreal-based performers have been creating stunning, award winning shows and rank among the world’s best contemporary circuses. Their latest creation is an acrobatic adventure with 11 top-level cast members will perform phenomenal physical feats set to live music featuring songs from Johnny Cash and Patsy Cline. Time: 7:00pm. Cost: $35-$69 general public, $20 students
- Sketching in the Galleries – Feb. 15: No matter your skill level, you are invited to take part in this fun, traditional event. Museum Teaching Artists will provide a little guidance and all the materials you need. During the event, groups of 10 will be free to sketch original works in the exhibit: Valeska Soares: Any Moment Now. This event is free to the public, so you can bring your partner for a late Valentine’s date without spending a dime. This is the perfect addition to a romantic Santa Barbara getaway. Time: 5:30pm – 6:30pm. Cost: FREE.
If you need a fun way to get to the events and festivals, all you have to do is contact our friends at Wheel Fun Rentals. This will give you a whole new way to see the city and the ocean.
February in Santa Barbara is a wonderful time of the year. You’re far away from the February blues that a lot of cooler climates experience. Instead, you get naturally warm weather, beautiful beaches, and all the sunshine you could ask for, making Santa Barbara the perfect winter getaway. If you need Santa Barbara lodging for any of the above events, look no further than our boutique hotel in Santa Barbara on the beach. The Eagle Inn is just minutes away from local theaters and festivals in the area. Take advantage of our central location for your Santa Barbara honeymoon or getaway. Call us at (805) 965-3586 or reserve a room, contact us online by clicking here. We’re looking forward to serving you.
Paul and Staff
Phone: (805) 965-3586
About The Eagle Inn: Located at 232 Natoma Avenue, Santa Barbara, CA, The Eagle Inn is one of the best beachside bed and breakfast hotels in Santa Barbara. Relax in comfortable surroundings just steps from the beach. Check the web site for last minute Santa Barbara hotel deals and hotel packages. Follow on Facebook for upcoming Santa Barbara events and Instagram for stunning photos. Call the front desk at (805) 965-3586 to learn more about hotel discounts and local deals.